Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Daydream Island to Sydney (August 12, 2008)

I was awakened this morning by the howling winds outside that whipped through the palm trees outside of my room. A brief walk outside confirmed my suspicions – the gusting wind, similar to that on Orrington Avenue in Evanston (this will make total sense to you NU folk) – created weather conditions that were way too chilly for laying out and enjoying my remaining time in the sun on Daydream Island.

Instead, I headed to the gym for another workout and went back to my room to shower, pack and watch some local news before checking out of my room. I had a few hours to kill, so I walked around, taking time to snap some photos of my favorite spots (click on the link for photos) around the island, before boarding the 2:00 p.m. ferry for Hamilton Island. This time, the ride was a little more intense and I stayed safely inside as the ferry plowed through the rough surf, leaving copious amounts of sea spray in our wake.

I got to the airport and checked into my flight, quickly boarding the plane back to Sydney. (Air travel is super-easy when the airport only has two gates!) Aside from the annoying couple making out next to me, the trip was uneventful and Cara was at the airport when I arrived to shuttle me back to her apartment in Bondi. We spent the evening watching the Olympics and went to bed early in preparation for another day in Sydney.

No comments: