Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I'm Goin' Solo

As many of you know, today marks the first day of my two-week adventure to Central Europe, namely Prague, Krakow, Budapest and Vienna. However, today also marks my very first extended vacation by myself. While I’ve taken a few trips alone (a few days in Melbourne before meeting Cara in Sydney; driving down the California Coast for two days this past spring break), I’ve never been by myself for two weeks, and definitely not in four cities where English is not the native language.

Everyone, including many of you, has reassured me that everything will be fine and that I’ll have a great time. However, I remain nervous about being on my own on foreign soil. (My current obsession? How will I avoid being egregiously ripped off by the notoriously shady Czech taxi drivers at the airport?) So, in the spirit of reframing the situation to make myself feel better, I give you my top five reasons for traveling solo.

#1: I Can Do Whatever I Want
You know how on most vacations, you have to check in with your travel partner(s) about the day’s itinerary? Make some compromises here and there? I don’t have to do that. At all. Instead, I can wake up in the morning and have the following conversation:

ME: “What do you want to do today?”
ME: “I was thinking we should take the tour of Prague Castle and then drink some beer for lunch.”
ME: “Sweet – that’s exactly what I want to do, too!”
ME: “I’m so glad we both agree.”
ME: “You’re awesome.”
ME: “No, YOU’RE awesome.”

It also means that, if I really want to, I can stay in the hotel room all day, watch Twilight on pay-per-view and eat room service. Because that’s what I want to do.

#2: I’ll Meet More People
This is the number-one reason people tell me not to be nervous and I think they’ve got it right. Running in a pack is intimidating to outsiders; being on my own makes me less threatening and more approachable, and therefore, it is more likely that people will reach out. Sort of like the little baby fawn that gets separated from the herd and is then hunted down by vicious wolves. But in a friendly way.

#3: Less To Pack
I have a routine for two-week trips like these – stuff the large, wheelie duffle to near-airline weight limits (say, 48 of the 50 lbs.), cram my canvas duffel carry-on with my camera equipment, books, tech and entertainment needs and snacks, and leave the really important stuff in my purse. As a result, I travel in comfort and style while still managing to carry my own things, albeit somewhat clumsily.

As I began packing for this trip, however, something struck me. Since there is no one else around to monitor my daily clothing choices, I only need three outfits -- one for each day in each city. So this time, even though I’ve just got a small carry-on, my duffel and a backpack, I can still look my adorable self every day and no one will know the difference.

#4: Cheaper Hotel Rooms
Huh? What, you ask? That doesn’t make any sense. A few weeks ago, I would have said the same thing. Singles notoriously get screwed when it comes to vacation packages due to the “based on double occupancy” clause that not only hits your wallet but also packs an emotional punch. (You’re traveling ALONE? By YOURSELF? That will be twice as much, thank you.)

Then I started booking my hotel rooms and a funny thing happened – because it’s just me, I had access to smaller and cheaper rooms at nicer hotels. Part of the discount comes from being able to reserve a single vs. a double room and part is the savings on breakfast when the second person isn’t included. And who cares if the room is slightly smaller than usual? It’s like buying the crappiest house on the nicest block – a good investment in location, location, location.

#5: Optional PJs
I’m not saying that I’m definitely going to spend two weeks hitting the sheets commando style. I’m just saying that if I want to, it’s an option.

So there you have it, my ode to singles travel. I’m sure I’ll come up with a few more reasons along the way (and few counter arguments, like riding the 10-hour train from Krakow to Budapest alone) but mostly, I’ll just be happy to have an adventure and share the experience with one of my favorite people in the world – me.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Living vicariously through you. Have fun!

K. Merino said...

I totally agree with you on the traveling alone. For two years I did that and it was wonderful. You take in the moments, the city, the food, and the people even more so. Needless to say, when I went to Europe with my partner, the food choices were limited to her diet and her sleep cycle.

Girl, live it up!!!